Friday 12 September 2014

In Loving Memory of Norma Marjorie Shepherd - My Nan - 12th September 2014

So, 12th September 2014 at 12:45am my Nan passed away.
 
Norma Marjorie Shepherd
Aged 84 Years
 
Nan was the only grandparent I got to meet, my Nan and Pop on my mum's side passed away before I was born. I was never allowed to meet my Pop on my Dad's side, so I was left with Nan. She was an amazing woman who went through a lot in her life. She always remained happy and cheerful. She found joy in the smallest things, we'd buy her a new lipstick or a ring from Avon and she would think it meant the world. She would be so grateful and she'd thank you like a million times. We'd travel two and a half hours to see her and she'd be so excited to see you, her face would light up as you opened the door.
 
Since I was born, 1990, Nan has been old and fragile, from what I've heard she wasn't always that way. But that is what made me think she would live forever, she just kept on keeping on. In the last few years she found out she had Dementia. To me it was never really that bad, she remembered who I was and who my family was, she just struggled with day-to-day sentences. Nan would repeat the same sentence like 5 times within 10 minutes, that's when you knew it was time to go because she'd ran out of things to say. She often felt bad for repeating herself and would apologise if she realised. Not that I minded I often just acted like it was new information that I hadn't heard before.  
 
The last time I went up to see her, 28th August 2014, I opened the door and again her little face lit up, and she said "ohh hello love". I walked in and realised she was watching a blue screen on the TV, I said "Nan! Why are you watching a blue screen?" and she pointed at the remote and said "oh I don't know how to use this thing love, there's too many buttons" I picked it up and changed it back to normal TV from AV lol... Something so simple to me, seemed so complex for her. It's strange to think just how much generations have changed over the years.
 
Nan never bought us grandchildren many Christmas or birthday presents, there were just too many of us. But last year she bought me a little coin purse and at the time she gave it to me my heart just melted. It was the first real present from Nan and it's now something I will cherish forever.
 
 
Norma Marjorie Shepherd aged 84 years old.
 
Mother of;
Gary
David
Brian
Robert
Michael
Linda

Nan to so so many lol:

Kathi
Geoff
Kim
 
Kirstin
Albert
Samantha
 
Catherine
Ricky
Amy
Jodie
 
Renee
Benjamin
Jaimilee
 
Wayne
Suzzanne
Annette
Christine
 
James
Lauren
 
Great grandmother to a growing number of children <3
 
 
I love you so dearly Nan, you were and always will be embedded in my heart. You meant so much to me, I hope you're now peacefully resting with no pain, just sweet memories of an amazing life lived. You were a wonderful mother who cared and loved your children so much, you often would recite the names of every grandchild, and even started reciting the great grandchildren's names. You were a wonderful, caring and loving person who saw only the best in everybody. You were dearly loved by our whole family, and many friends you met along the way. We will all miss you so much, you were the rock of the Shepherd family and I will cherish that memory in my heart forever. I say goodbye, not with sadness, but with happy memories and positive thoughts that you're now resting in peace. 
 
I love you Nanny <3
xx
 
 
 




 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment