Wednesday 24 September 2014

World Alzheimer's Day - 21st September 2014

 
 
The 21st September was World Alzheimer's Day,
if you have read my previous post about my Nan you would know that she had Alzheimer's.
Alzheimer's Disease is the most common form of Dementia.
Nearly twice as many women have Alzheimer's as men do.
Heart disease can raise the risk of getting Alzheimer's.
The more education you have, the lower your risk of getting Alzheimer's. Doing group activities or interacting with others also may lower your risk.
Alzheimer's Australia is the national peak body and charity representing the more than 330,000 Australians living with dementia and the estimated 1.2 million Australians involved in their care.
 

 
My nan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a couple of years ago.
It didn't seem too bad, but I do know that it starts off slowly then progresses quite fast. Unfortunately she passed away on the 12th September 2014,
not from the Alzheimer's but from a fall and then complications in hospital.
 
For anyone who has dementia or knows someone who has it I am sending positive vibes your way. I know it's a difficult disease to ...deal with.
Just please be understanding toward the person, don't get mad if they repeat themselves, they can't help it. I often just acted like it was new info and got excited, even though she'd just told me like three times hah.. It makes them feel better about themselves.
 
 
To donate to Alzheimer's Australia please visit their website


No comments:

Post a Comment